Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Call to action

The rains are falling. There is mud. Illness is brewing in the sludge. My heart aches. My mind wanders. My soul cries. My optimism for the future of the Haitian people holds on by thin thread of light.

At a recent social gathering, I heard a woman discussing the plight of Haiti. My ears tuned in to the conversation from across the room. The words that rolled off of her tongue drew me to her. She said, “The situation in Haiti is God’s test for THOSE people to understand his strength.” I picked up my chin off of the floor and sauntered into her physical space. I posed a simple question, “Have you been to Haiti?” As you might imagine this expert on God’s redeeming wisdom replied sheepishly, “no”. I pondered for a moment asking for wisdom, grace and dignity as the voice of my Haitian family. I stood tall and said, “I have been blessed with many opportunities to visit Haiti. I consider myself a spiritual person connected to powers beyond my humanity. There is no benevolent deity within my human consciousness that would test humans walking this earth with the living hell that surrounds my Haitian brothers and sisters.” With eyes larger than the plate she held in her hand, she tipped her glass for a gulp of wine and excused herself to the “ladies room”.

Handicap International declined to offer me the 6 week volunteer position that I pursued after the earthquake. In the wee hours of the morning, Gregory, with his French accent, expressed his enthusiasm about the contents of my curriculum vitae. He continued to explain that I didn’t have enough “international disaster experience” and that HI is focusing efforts to place therapists willing to serve in Haiti for six months or more. Disappointed, I have faith that things manifest for a reason and patience provides the wisdom of understanding. When the time is right another opportunity will sail into my consciousness.

I started hearing fatigue in Robert’s voice last week. During our last conversation on Sunday, he said, “Sweetie, I am tired. I miss you and I want to come home.” That statement is the bittersweet symbolism that has filled my beloved Robert’s life. He is calling Spirit Mountain in Sacramento home, but I know his heart will ache when he boards the plane as he leaves behind Chi Chi…Rose Berline…Papa…Sonja…Madame… and many other relatives and friends. I pray for Robert to be surrounded by light and know that he is loved. His re-entry into life in the USA will certainly require a period of adjustment.

A dear friend of mine posed a question about Haiti recently via email. “What do you think about NGOs, non-profits and then all those I read about who do relief efforts outside of them. Do you think there is a place for all approaches or should relief be distributed through large non-profits only?” Hopefully my words share my perspective on this very complex question.

The echoes of Haitian voices fill my head. The Haitian people yearn for the leadership of their elected government. My limited perspective tells me that the US government and the United Nations (call MINISTAH by Haitians) believe the Haitian government needs to be involved in the recovery of their country. The challenge is that the Haitian government currently lacks a voice and it is apparent the government is not able to stand up and lead. Haitians express a frank distrust of MINISTAH based on the events bound in their historical occupation. Haitians are chronically aware of the corruption that exists within their limited governmental structure.

There is amazing work happening in Haiti by individuals, NGOs, small and large non-profits. The challenge is that there doesn’t appear to be any coordination of these valiant efforts. Some organization is evident between individuals and groups but there doesn’t appear to be a centralized effort to distribute resources in a coordinated and meaningful way. This lack of leadership is one of the major differences between the aftermath of the Haitian disaster and the devastating earthquake in Chile.

Haiti was the first country of predominately black people to establish its independence in 1804, a time when slavery of people indigenous to Africa was the norm. Haitian history demonstrates how money, power and greed steal the hope of humanity. Natural disasters have contributed to the downward spiraling struggle of Haiti. The reality is that the mother earth shook this little island nation’s humanitarian struggle into the world view.

I believe there needs to be an entity that is willing to step up and coordinate the efforts of all the individuals and organizations diligently working in Haiti. A partnership with the Haitian government with clear expectations and accountability for their active participation is crucial for the future of Haiti. There are differing opinions about whether this entity should be the United States or the United Nations.

One thing I know for certain, time is of the essence. Mother earth continues to shake, her skies are crying, her mud is sliding and her seas are swelling. The rainy season in Haiti coincides with the hurricane season. The Haitian spirit is strong but lack of shelter, food, and clean water will take the lives of thousands. Thoughts and prayers are powerful, but the Haitian people need advocates to demand a rapid coordination of efforts.

If you strip away the complexities that bind Haiti to its identity as the poorest country in the western hemisphere, there is a profound story that tells the tale of our human interconnectedness. Our Haitian brothers and sisters need to borrow our voices to sing songs demanding action. We can participate in our governmental process and ask our leaders to facilitate this action. If we choose to make donations to organizations or individuals working in Haiti, we should inquire about how their efforts are being coordinated to support the Haitian people. There is not one simple idea or solution to this humanitarian tragedy, but collectively each of our actions will support the greater good.

And with that I will sign off for now.

1 comment:

  1. A few months ago, I saw a documentary called The Philosopher Kings. I highly recommend the film which is out on DVD now.
    Official Website

    In the film, they profiled a custodian or janitor at Princeton University who was working with a non-profit to bring clean drinking water to his village in Haiti (Lasource). Perhaps this is something that would be of interest to you.

    ReplyDelete