Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Observations from Haiti


Greetings and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

I have continued my transition back into life in America including my return to work and a routine that includes daily exercise and modern convenience. Every time I return from Haiti, I am changed. It is a phenomenon that is difficult to describe, but my soul clings to the lessons I have learned from my experiences.

This week I have been listening to the dialogues of friends, family, co-workers, patients and strangers. I find myself drifting into thought as I enjoy the conveniences of living in the “first world”. While we Americans move about challenged in our own way, it seems as though we could learn many lessons from our fellow Haitians. I made a point during my recent trip to observe Haitian women. Women walk miles from their country village with a huge vessel on their head filled with local crops or sweets to sell on the streets. These women are poised as they gracefully maneuver the terrain of fallen roads. I have never seen a Haitian woman drop this load from her head. They have mastered the idea of what we physical therapists call “core strength” and “balance”. I have helped lift the load these women carry and I would guess it could be as much as 40 pounds…lifted from the ground to the top of their head and within seconds she is walking down the road calling out what items she has for sale.

I watched the women prepare food in a room with a dirt floor. Charcoal is placed in a small metal container and set on fire. Pans of various configurations are used. These women cook together for hours to create flavorful food. The process to prepare food for our anniversary celebration began at about 4 am with a trip to the market guided by kerosene lanterns. The sun came up and beat down on them as the kitchen area has no roof. The women use a small bucket tied to a rope to pull water up from the well. There was no electric or gas stoves or a sink with disposal. There was not refrigerator to keep things cool or stored-only small areas of shade are reserved for their cooling effect. There was an old wooden table used for cutting up food. An amazing spread of chicken, rice and beans, three or four salads, macaroni au gratin and popcorn were served at about 7:30 pm.

At any point in the day there were about 13 women and girls who participated in this process. They laughed and chatted and embraced one another throughout the day. The matriarch we call Madame barked out orders while the younger women and girls all diligently completed their assigned tasks. The women didn’t seem to feel bothered by the immensity of their task. They gathered together with a sense of community grateful to have the food that Robert and I provided to create food to be shared by family and friends.

The gathering for the meal began with singing and prayer. A toast was made to Robert and I by Madame’s son wishing us 500 years of happiness together. Robert and I were given the first china plates piled with food. Everyone else had plastic plates with modest servings.

Today I stand in my modern kitchen with a beautifully tiled floor, gas stove and oven, microwave, refrigerator and running water for my every whim and my mind travels back to Haiti. I stand in awe of all my Haitian sisters. Their simplicity and community offers me lessons for reflection.

Until next time, may you remember to celebrate the gifts that surround you each and every day.

Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment